This job is no longer available
To £44k plus benefits
Our client is a leading International Engineering Consultancy with long standing expertise in Civil and Structural Engineering. Their Newcastle office has a requirement for a Principal Highways Engineer to manage the delivery of highway projects and services for Central Government, local authorities and other public/private sector clients.
Responsibilities will include liaison with clients, consultants, and statutory bodies, project planning, and the management of internal and external resources.
- Excellent communication, both written and oral, with the ability to adapt communication style to suit different circumstances.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships at all levels both internally and externally.
- A ‘self-starter’ with drive, positivity and enthusiasm and a strong desire to succeed.
- Commercial awareness with effective influencing and negotiating skills, as well as an aptitude to develop emerging and new client relationships.
- A visible and participative technical leader, willing and able to take responsibility and be held to account for the technical performance, overall ability, and advancement of the team.
- An ability to help build and develop a strong team by providing mentoring and support to the team members.
- Technical independence within the field of Highway Design (incorporating highways, drainage and earthworks design disciplines)
- Reliability and trustworthiness; acting with consistency and integrity at all times.
- Willingness to take the initiative and ability to own and manage workload to deadlines.
- Taking a proactive approach to health and safety and risk management.
- Degree educated or equivalent in Civil Engineering and preferably will be a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer with a relevant professional body.
- Significant and demonstrable technical competence in highway scheme design from a Local Authority or Consulting Engineer environment, as well as previous experience in the development of small to medium sized highway maintenance and improvements schemes.
- Commitment to learning and taking responsibility for your own professional development.
- Good understanding of drainage design
- Literacy in the use of Microsoft office including Word, Excel.
- Excellent computer aided drafting skills using Autocad or Microstation in the field of civil engineering infrastructure design.
- Knowledge of MX
- A proven ability to provide leadership to a team working in a Private Sector organization, delivering highways design solutions.
- Experienced in the hands on production of detailed design information, construction detail drawings & specifications for Public Sector highway works including Traffic Sign and Road Markings design, Road Restraint Systems, Traffic Management design, and drafting Statutory Orders.
- Sound knowledge of Design Standards such as Sewers for Adoption, Manual for Streets, Design Manual for Roads & Bridges and relevant British Standards.