This job is no longer available
We have an exciting opportunity within Atkins' Water and Environment (Rivers & Coastal) business for an Assistant Maritime Engineer to help develop and grow our Maritime engineering team in Peterborough. The right candidate will positively input to and influence Atkins’ local and national maritime strategy. The maritime sector is a key expansion market for Atkins and this vacancy provides unparalleled opportunity for personal development within the UK’s largest engineering consultancy.
The focus of the role is the delivery of heavy civil engineering, harbour and maritime works including condition assessment, refurbishment and new build throughout the UK and overseas. The role will entail working within a growing maritime business providing services directly to clients and with other Atkins’ businesses who will lead in other aspects such as infrastructure, energy, transport and building design. Our current client portfolio includes Dover Harbour Board, Harwich International Port, CMal and Transport for London. We are also actively seeking opportunities in the Middle East, Africa and the Mediterranean.
The vacancy is for someone who will play a key role in project technical delivery coupled with good client facing opportunities. The vacancy is for a maritime engineer with relevant technical experience and capabilities in the delivery of engineering solutions to a range of maritime clients.
- Civil Engineer with strengths in heavy civils and maritime engineering.
- Possess a degree in Civil and/or Maritime Engineering (MSc level being advantageous).
- Experience in engineering design, contract documentation and construction management.
- Ability to demonstrate a proven track record of working collaboratively in teams and with other disciplines in delivering maritime projects.
- Working familiarity with relevant technical codes of practice and industry standards relevant to maritime engineering is essential; from initial planning through to construction management, and the relevant consents and approvals processes.
- Strong written and verbal skills when communicating with stakeholders including technical and non-technical parties are essential.
- Have a valid UK driving licence, be available to travel across UK and occasionally overseas.
- Delivering civil and maritime project designs from inception to handover, on budget and to deadlines.
- Preparation of calculations and project documents (specification, reports, technical notes etc).
- Assist in the preparation of bids to commercial and competitive standards for the future success of the business.
- To maintain excellent professional relationships which can lead to secure repeat business.
- Take ownership for the quality of project work to meet agreed standards and specifications.
- Working with supplier resources to deliver projects to time, quality and budget.
- Liaise with and support others across the wider UK home and international markets.
- Possessing a flexible, winning attitude.
- Able to generate innovative solutions to challenges.
- Self-motivated towards improving personal and team development.
- Strong team working and communication skills.
- Customer focused and a high level of relationship management skills
- Good reputation and excellent technical performance in challenging environments.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins has been named as one of the top 50 employers for women by The Sunday Times for 2013. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.
Rewards & Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details.
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA ( who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.