This job is no longer available
We have opportunities for a dynamic and motivated Principal Tunnel Engineer for our Epsom and London offices. The candidate should have the appropriate level of experience of which a significant proportion should have been gained with an engineering design company undertaking the design of tunnels or related infrastructure
Atkins is the largest engineering consultant in the UK, largest multi-disciplinary firm in Europe and fourth largest design firm in the world, with a turnover of £1.2Bn. The post of Principal Tunnel Engineer will afford opportunities commensurate with a company of such size.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious tunnelling projects in the UK including Crossrail and Bond Street & Victoria station upgrades and work packages on Thames Tideway. We are seeking to expand the current team of dedicated technical specialists to deliver these exciting commissions, and to extend our capability in underground technology further within the UK and worldwide.
The successful candidate will be a Principal Tunnel Engineer with a proven technical and project Management track record. Your own tunnelling knowledge and reputation will be supported by the depth of skill and expertise within the rapidly expanding tunnelling and geotechnics group in the UK and worldwide, including a number of internationally renowned experts.
Candidates should have:
- A good academic background with a civil engineering bachelors or masters degree
- Chartered status in civil or structural engineering (is a requirement)
- Sufficient post graduation experience, with a significant proportion gained with an engineering design company undertaking the design of tunnels or related infrastructure
- Experience of team leading roles, and some client representation
- Proven numeracy skills (chartered mining engineers with a proven aptitude in mathematics will be considered)
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English (clear, concise report writing will be expected)
- A high motivation to succeed, and to progress and develop their chosen careers
- A personality compatible with a high degree of collaborative and team work
- A valid driving licence
- A willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for full details.
Atkins has been named as one of the top 50 employers for women for 2013. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA ( who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.