This job is no longer available
We have opportunities for dynamic and motivated Tunnel Engineers for our Epsom and London offices. The candidates should be experienced in the design of tunnels and related infrastructure.
Atkins is the largest engineering consultant in the UK, largest multi-disciplinary firm in Europe and fourth largest design firm in the world, with a turnover of £1.2Bn. The post of Tunnel Engineer will afford opportunities commensurate with a company of such size.
Atkins has an impressive current portfolio of prestigious tunnelling projects in the UK including Crossrail and Bond Street & Victoria Station upgrades and work packages on Thames Tideway. We are seeking to expand the current team of dedicated technical specialists to deliver these exciting commissions, and to extend our capability in underground technology further within the UK and worldwide.
The successful candidate will be a Tunnel Engineer with a proven technical record and have the flare and ability to develop good commercial and project management skills to further enhance our tunnelling business in various locations across the UK, including Epsom and London, which also includes our Crossrail office.
Candidates should have:
- A good academic background with a civil engineering bachelors or masters degree;
- Chartered status (or ready to become chartered) in civil or structural engineering;
- Sufficient and appropriate experience within an engineering design company undertaking the design of tunnels or related infrastructure;
- Proven numeracy skills (chartered mining engineers with a proven aptitude in mathematics will be considered);
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English (clear, concise report writing will be expected);
- A high motivation to succeed, and to progress and develop their chosen careers;
- A personality compatible with a high degree of collaborative and team work;
- A valid driving licence & a willingness to travel on short assignments both within the UK and overseas.
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. We recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. We also have our Ground Engineering Academy to provide structured support and encouragement to staff in their progression to chartership. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
Right to Work
The UK Government have taken steps to reduce net migration to the UK by limiting the number of overseas workers from outside the EEA coming to the UK for employment. Please note that whilst we are able to consider applications from overseas workers from outside the EEA ( who require a Tier 2 (General) visa) we can only employ them if we can provide evidence that there are no other suitable candidates for this vacancy from inside the EEA.
Atkins has been named as one of the top 50 employers for women for 2013. The listing recognises Atkins as an organisation that is committed to making the most of the women in our workforce.
Reward & Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.