This job is no longer available
Atkins is the largest engineering and design consultancy in the UK, the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world.
Due to an increasing workload in our Land & Development Business we are seeking to appoint a Senior civil engineering CAD technician based in our Birmingham Office.
The successful candidate will join our existing CAD team which provides draughting support to engineers and scientists delivering projects across a variety of business sectors (e.g. minewater, waste, contaminated land, land development).
The ideal candidate will need to be proficient in the use of AutoCAD and able to demonstrate relevant experience of providing CAD support across a range of civil engineering and associated disciplines. They will need to be able to work both independently and part of a team and have the confidence and ability to help develop engineering solutions as part of broader engineering teams.
The candidate will be required to manage their own workload with line manager support to meet internal and external client programmes.
- Appropriate draughting qualification using AutoCAD preferably including elements of 3D modelling
- Experience of draughting for civil engineering works and associated disciplines (e.g. landscaping, ecology, planning)
- Experience of 3D modelling with AutoCAD
- Competent to develop options and design drawings with limited guidance
- Experience of drawing issue and control to both internal and external clients
- Experience of working to defined CAD standards
- Ability to check and review drawings to maintain internal CAD standards
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft XL and Word.
Experience of the following would be desirable but not essential as the appropriate training can be provided:
- Key Terra Firma
- Design review
- RC Detailing packages
You will be responsible for :
- CAD support principally to the civils infrastructure, waste, contaminated land, ecology, landscape and planning teams. However CAD support to other parts of Atkins may be required (e.g. Rail, Ground Engineering, Structures and Highways Teams)
- Development of design options using AutoCAD (e.g. earthworks models, hydraulic layouts, access routes)
- Preparation of outline design drawings and sketches
- Preparation of detailed design and contract drawings
- Preparation of plans to accompany technical reports
- Quantities take off from drawings
- Ensuring drawing compliance with internal Business Management and CAD systems
- Checking and reviewing of drawings to ensure CAD standards are maintained
- Liaison with other members of the Land & Development CAD team and CAD teams in other parts of Atkins to help manage broader workloads
- Liaison with engineers and scientist across the Land and Development and other Atkins businesses
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Be self-motivated
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Logical thinking and confidence to help develop engineering solutions
- Have a strong focus on the quality of deliverables
- Have good verbal communications skills